Saturday, September 5, 2020

Staycation 2: House Projects

This week's projects weren't quite as intense as our week off in June where we did our deck and fence.  Our biggest project of the week did involve quite a bit of debris with a variety of material types, wood, sheetrock, and brick.  We decided this would be a good opportunity to get a dumpster not only for the small construction project, but also to clean out some other large items and stuff we just haven't thrown out.
Our big project was removing a closet in the basement.  You can see its location circled below.  We have long ago removed the sliding doors and attempted to use it for toy storage.  The kids just dumped out the baskets we tried to organize them in and it was just a mess. I decided to just seal it up and remove the framing to gain a couple more feet in our storage/utility room.  
I used a thin hardboard to cover the opening since I wouldn't be able to match the paneling.  I will be finishing it with chalkboard paint and trim to create a fun art space.
The walls came out easier than expected, but I did have to remove some sheetrock I wanted to keep in order to fully remove the floor.  There was also a line of bricks at the bottom of the walls that I fears would be hard to remove, but they were already a little loose one the weight of the walls was gone.  The extra space we gained will be really nice for winter projects.  I still plan to go through all our storage totes to consolidate and streamline things, but it already looks much better.
As a replacement for toy storage, I converted the existing firewood cabinet.  The left side was open all the way to the floor, so I used some scrap wood to build a platform for reachability.  I lined it with some felt I had on hand and removed the heavy door to make sure no appendages got smashed.  Not perfect, but an easy solution that will work for now.
Another project I made more progress on is our faux ribbon board on the soffit in our "sports bar" area.  I used putty to fill in the paneling grooves then finished with chalkboard paint.  I will be able to update them with current sports news and headlines.  I also put up the fill vikings schedule for quick reference.  I just need to paint the new trim, install, and this one will be finished.
Finally, we spruced up our bathroom.  The shower had one of those wand style heads which I don't really care for.  We also have poor water pressure in the shower and I was hoping to get something to help with that.  I found one that specifically mentioned low pressure.  It lived up to the hype and offers improved pressure with better coverage.  We also added a cabinet over the toilet.  A friend gave it to us last year and I finally got around to painting it black.  I am not typically a fan of them, but this bathroom is very small and we really needed the storage.  No more toilet paper stacked on the tank!
Our house is a bit more organized and less cluttered than it was a week ago and I am looking forward to continuing the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment