Wednesday, August 3, 2011

National Night Out!

Last night was the 28th Annual National Night Out.  I have heard about this many times, but never lived in a neighborhood that participated.  NNO isn't just about getting together and grilling with your neighbors, it's about crime and drug prevention.  It sends a statement to your neighborhood that you care about what happens in your area and are willing to stand up for it.  It is also a great opportunity to grow police-community relationships.  This was much more than I expected!

The party started at 6:30 just down the street.  Everyone brought a dish to share and meat to grill, it was quite the spread!
Soon enough both the Police and Fire Departments made an appearance (which might cause a scare if you didn't know they were coming!)  They handed out stickers and crime prevention information.  They also opened up the firetruck and the kids got to climb in!
An extra surprise half way through was a "baby shower" of sorts!  My neighbor Carrie is expecting her little boy in 8 weeks and I am due in December.  The host had mentioned that on some of the invites so several people came bearing gifts.  It was a very fun surprise! 
  
Peter Rabbit outfits!
I am so glad we went.  We have lived in our house for 2 1/2 years and I didn't know most of my neighbors.  It was fun to meet new people and eat some delicious food.  I can't wait until next year!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun night you had!!!:) and such a great way to meet your neighbors!

    ReplyDelete