Wednesday, May 8, 2024

NYC with the Buxtons: Part 3

For dinner, we stopped at Sarge's Deli, another well known pastrami spot.
Pickles and slaw for starters.
Mile high sandwiches and sweet potato fries for the entree.
We walked the mile back to the hotel, stopping to see Grand Central Terminal.  Our hotel had two elevators, one of which was a super tiny one. Just big enough for the 4 of us.
After a quick refresher in the room, we headed out for a nigh time ride on the Staten Island Ferry.  It's a free way to get great city views if you don't want to go to Liberty Island, but I love doing it at night.
The illuminated skyline is a hard to beat view.
Saturday was our final full day in the city and we took it a little slower.  I got coffee and a pastry at Ground Central, a short walk from the hotel.  If I was social media maven I could have had a field day with pictures.  I had a stroll planned to knock off some other notable NYC sights.
Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center
St. Patrick's Cathedral
Trump Tower
A little more central park.
We took the drain back downtown and saw the Flatiron Building.  A little disappointing with the full suit of scaffolding.  We also made another Levain cookie stop for Jimmy nearby.
Next we headed towards Brooklyn for lunch and to show my parents the church I stayed and volunteered at in high school and college.  We made it to Dominick's for lunch right at they opened.
The church and most of the neighborhood look the same, but an apartment building we did some work on and that housed many church staff I knew has been torn down and replaced.
Back on the train for another new to be adventure, Coney Island!
Not exactly a great beach day.  The breeze was extra cool with temps in the 50s.
Cocktails and a cheesesteak!
Jimmy and I took a ride on the Cyclone!  We can say we've been on iconic rides on both coasts now.
We finished up with some dogs at Nathan's.
We took the long train ride back to the hotel.  Jimmy and I perused the Grand Central dining concourse while my parents relaxed.  That night we did a proper walk through Times Square for snacks and shopping.
We had tried going to Krispy Kreme on the way back from the musical Thursday, but the original glazing machine was broken.  Just as we got to the front of the line this time, they started having computer issues or something, but we were able to get some!
My dad said this was the most comfortable seat he had on the trip. I guess I know what to get him for Christmas!  Sunday was just a travel day.  Our driver asked us to meet him at a nearby hotel where he was dropping off so we got one last glimpse of the lights.  This is one of the few places I am almost certain we will back to.
Home sweet home back in Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment