Monday, August 7, 2023

20 Year High School Reunion

A week ago I would have told you there was no way I felt old enough to be going to a 20 year high school reunion.  Two nights in a hospital for kidney stones makes you feel old real quick.  I was hoping that hospital stint wouldn't put a damper on the day, and I made sure it didn't. I was part of the planning team and was so excited.  I made a sign for our two gatherings and got in the purple spirit with my new glasses and a new manicure.
We had a family park meet-up at noon at Promise Park, which is an all-abilities, accessible playground at Buffalo Covenant Church.
We had a small, but fun group of families that came out.
After that, we went to my parents house to rest for a bit and so that I didn't have to drive all the way back home.  Our evening gathering was at Hayes Public House, a small batch brewery and tap house.  We were looking for a casual venue and they offered to host us for free and people could purchase food and beverages as they please.
We had a pretty decent turnout, about 45 people in this picture and another 10-15 that showed up later.  It was great to see friends I've seen often since 2003 and also catch up with those I haven't talked to in 20 years.
Early in the night one of the guys, Steve Voerding, suggested we go paint "the rock".  About 9:30 we loaded up in two of our minivans.  One group headed to Menards to pick up paint and we met at the high school.  I think I had plans and/or attempted to paint it once or twice, but never actually did.  Some kid somewhere is sad we covered their Minecraft design.
Myself, Nick Lenczewski, Jess (Rich) Worden, Trina (Ellis) Mastley, Dan Van Lith, Steve Voerding, and Lindsay Quady were the tagging crew.  I would not have put this group together 20 years ago, but that's the awesome thing about reunions.  Even though painting the rock is allowed, it felt a little illegal!
Kaylan (Thompson) McCombs sported her original Seniors t-shirt, while I had to make a replica.  Jess headed back out to the school the next morning to see our rock work in the light and I think it looked great!
This was such a fun day, hopefully we don't wait 10 years for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment