Sunday, July 19, 2020

Clearing, Cleaning, Cookies, and Crust

We've been staying very busy with home projects and activities.  Our garage came with a giant wood burning stove.  We know it will never get used by us and I finally got around to grinding off the exhaust pipe and posting it for free on NextDoor.  I got a response in less than an hour and the couple was over to pick it up that evening.  I was glad to see they came prepared with a hand truck and ratchet straps because that thing was a beast!  They were very excited and it will get a second life.
I really helps to open up the front of our garage that has already been undergoing some major organization.
We've gone through several versions on DVD and Blu-ray storage at our current house and I decided to build something a bit more permanent.  I hobbled together some cheap 1 x 6 pine boards in to a custom shelf installed above the TV.  It is nice to have our movies so visible and accessible, but out of reach from the kids.  It is almost full, so I will probably build another one for the opposite wall.  I also have some bobbleheads and other sports memorbilia I can display in the open areas.
The same weekend I built the movie storage, I added storage for our KitchenAid mixer attachments.  I have loved having it displayed in our hutch, but it was a little messy with everything just sitting behind it.  I've had the idea to add hooks and a little shelf for a while.  It is such a cute little display now and really cleans it up.
My dad has been harping on me forever to paint the door frame on our garage service door and I finally did it.  Now it matches the rest of our white trim.
Jimmy took on the latest small project and installed a new outlet in our kitchen that includes two USB-C ports.  We will now be able to charge two devices, keep the toaster plugged in and have an outlet available if needed. Just need to grab some shorter cables and it will be a great little charging station.
Esme has been asking for cookies every day lately, so we finally made some peanut butter cookies.  She really enjoyed helping me mix and trying to make balls.  Her's turned more in to snakes than balls.  The best part was definitely licking off the spatuala.
The last think we are baking up is some fresh bread.  We bought 20 lbs of flour in March just in case we needed to make bread at some point.  It was a hot commodity at that time and there was a lot of uncertainty.  I have been trying to clear out our cabinets of older food items lately, so bread baking made sense.  Jimmy's mom gave us their bread maker when they sold their house over 10 years ago.  I have tried to get Jimmy to part with it several times, but I am glad he always forced me to keep it. We've made a couple loafs of milk and honey white bread and I won't be buying a loaf until at least half of our flour is gone.  I will need to get some more yeast which can be hard to come by, but a co-0worker of mine is an avid baker and has some to spare.
It feels great to be knocking out some projects and having fun in the kitchen.  Are you being productive during the pandemic?

No comments:

Post a Comment