Saturday, November 14, 2020

Grandpa Buxton Turns 60

My dad turned 60 yesterday.  Esme and I sent him a video this morning to wish him well.  In a non-pandemic year, we would have at least gotten together to celebrate and maybe even had a party.  Instead, we got to gather virtually.  Case numbers in Minnesota and nation wide are surging.  More than double from just a couple weeks ago.  So, we are back in to our deep hibernation from the spring and have lost the small bubble we had.  My mom called to see if we wanted to have a virtual birthday dinner.  She dropped of the makings of a 5 star meal, so I decided we should make a cake for us to enjoy as well.  When I asked Esme what kind we should make, she suggested rainbow.  So, we broke out the food dye and went to work.
I ended up a bit more rushed than expected at the end.  In addition to the chicken, steak, shrimp, and crab my mom brought over, I prepared some rice pilaf and cheddar bay biscuits.  I intended to have salad as well, but it didn't make it.  Kind of a riff on Red Lobster based on the entrees.  Jimmy let me have all the crab and I made sure there wasn't a bit left!
We sang "Happy Birthday" and enjoyed cake before signing off so my dad could watch football (it's his birthday after all.)
We opted for chocolate frosting since that's his and Parker's favorite. It ended up over baked and dry, but the kids aren't harsh critics.
Happy Birthday Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment