Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Our Quarantine Birthday

It's a big birthday year for Jimmy and myself.  He turned 40 and I turned 35.  I had some fun things in mind pre-pandemic, but that changed a bit.  Jimmy requested Peanut Butter Cake for dessert.  It was really good and I might add some jam between the layers next time.
We decided not to exchange gifts this year, but I did make Jimmy some new t-shirts.  Over the last 18 months, he has lost 40 pounds, so his shirts are getting a bit baggy.  The Level 40 one is pretty self explanatory.  The sandwich one is a bit more obscure.  Sandwiches are Jimmy's favorite food and I saw a local radio personality wearing a shirt like this, so I duplicated it. 
We had dentist appointments first thing in the morning and planned to bring some cake to my dad while he watched Parker, so we sang Happy Birthday before dropping Esme off at daycare.  Esme has been singing it to everything under the sun lately, so she was all about it.  There is a video below of her singing to a robot on her iPad and to us for our birthday.
We stopped at Costco after the dentist.  I ran in for a few things and grabbed Parker a slice of mid-morning pizza.  Costco pizza used to be a a regular meal for us, but this is his first taste of it since March.  I also made cupcakes for a funeral later in the week and Parker offered to be quality control.
For our special birthday supper, I made a copycat steak sandwich from The Capital Grille.  My original birthday plan was to attend the Minnesota Twins Grand Slam Dinner which is a charity dinner where current and former Twins players and staff are the servers and bartenders.  It is typically held in mid-August and I was going to surprise Jimmy with it (maybe next year).  It had ribeye steak, caramelized onions, havarti and garlic-dill mayo on toasted baguette.  It was amazing and we will definitely make them again.
We finished our day with a visit to see Grandpa and Grandma Herrmann.  They live in a senior apartment building, so they are not allowing visitors inside as extra precaution.  I brought the last of the cake and we enjoyed dessert while chatting outside.  Not the most exciting birthday, but fun none the less!

No comments:

Post a Comment