Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Giant Scrabble Tile Wall Art

We've slowly been hanging pictures on the wall and I wanted to do something larger with the big blank wall in our living room.  I saw an idea using large Scrabble tiles to connect names and fell in love.  I commissioned my dad to make 5" blocks from pine.  He cut a keyhole slot on the back for hanging.
 On his recommendation, I used a water based polyurethane, which should make sure they don't turn yellow over time.
 I figured out the proportions of the letters and numbers, then cut them out of black vinyl.  I cut contact paper in the same shape as the block and marked the center to help align them.
 I determined the middle of the wall and laid out the screws.  I made a mark every 6" on my level to make it easier to measure.
 Then it was just a matter of hanging the tiles.  I was so happy with how it turned out.
 I always planned to make it a collage wall with pictures.  I still need to fill in with some smaller frames, but this is a good start.  I am loving making this place our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment