Saturday, May 30, 2015

Clay Throwing

I got my mom a Groupon to make pottery for Christmas this year.  It was really popular so we ended up having to schedule out several months.  The day finally arrived on Thursday.  It was a gorgeous evening so we headed out in the convertible!
There was a bit of traffic, but we arrived at Caufield Clay Works just in time.  After a quick intro and instructional we were off and throwing!
Our instructor, Kevin, has been doing this for over 40 years!  He made it look a lot easier than it was for the rest of us.  
I had thrown a few times in high school, but that did not help my cause!  My first item was a hot mess!
Both of us got a lot better as we went and had a ton of fun doing it.
We each got to keep our three favorite items.  Once they had dried slightly we used other tools to smooth and decorate.
This was also our opportunity to add a handle if we wanted, so I added one to my gravy/syrup/"whatever I want to pour" boat! 
The one on the left below used a faceting technique that I think turned out pretty good!  Over the next few weeks they will be biscuit fired, glazed, and fired again.  In 4-6 weeks we will have our completed items back.  I can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment