Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Girl Scout Cookie Showdown

It's Girl Scout Cookie season!  I love cookies of all kinds, but have a soft spot for Girl Scout Cookies.  I was a girl scout growing up and always did really well selling them.  Back then you actually took advance orders and payment, then delivered them several weeks later.  Things are done a bit different now and troops just order them before knowing how many they will sell.  The only thing I don't love about them is the price.  In recent years I have found myself just giving girls a $5 bill because I want to support them, but can't justify the expense.  It also helps that Aldi has their own line of knock-off cookies at less than half the price (and with more cookies.)  This situation called for some super scientific science!  I bit the bullet and bought 3 boxes from my manager's daughter for our taste test.  I had 7 people do blind tastings of each option and pick a favorite.

Round 1: Caramel Coconut Fudge vs. Caramel deLights
Girl Scouts ran away with this one 5-2.  Tasters preferred the softer cookie a coconut flavor the GS had to offer.

 Round 2: Peanut Butter Filled Cookies vs. Peanut Butter Patties
Aldi's Benton's brand took this round 4-3.  They came with a bigger punch of peanut butter which led to the victory.

Round 3: Fudge Mint Cookies vs Thin Mints
This was the most difficult battle.  Two tasters could not discern a difference between the two options, so I gave a point to each side.  Girl Scouts barely edged Aldi in a 4-3 vote.

The Girl Scout cookies came out on top, but if you take in to account the cost difference it would be hard not to choose Aldi.  Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment