Sunday, July 17, 2016

A Branch and a Birthday

Remember that bad storm we had about 2 weeks ago?  It turns out we had more tree damage than I originally realized.  Last weekend I noticed that the ash tree in our backyard had a very large split in one of the limbs.  It was hard to get a good picture, but the split was probably about 3 feet.  My dad is a tree guy, so he came over Saturday morning to check it out.  He came prepared to take it down and that's what we did.
Neither of us care to be on a ladder that high, but I am glad he did it!  He cut off the upper part with a  bow saw first so it would fall and miss the fence.  Then he cut off the last 6 feet with the chainsaw.
I am sad to see half the tree gone, but didn't want it to fall and hurt someone.  The tree is looking pretty sad and we have a huge pile of stuff to get rid of, but I am thankful we were able to do it ourselves.
My parents took the kids home with them and Jimmy and I went to see Finding Dory with my nephew Jayden.  This is the 9th Pixar movie in a row we have seen together and we didn't want to ruin the streak!  After the movie we went to my parents house to celebrate my mom's birthday.  I didn't do a special meal last year since we were preparing for my brother's wedding, but we brought it back!  I thought we might pick a new food type, but my mom liked the Italian dinner from 2013 a lot, so we did it again.  I didn't make as much this time, but it was still yummy.  We may just stick with this from now on.
I even made sure to pick up some Italian wine!
We headed out for some fresh air after dinner.  We had to take a new Esme tree picture because the red fir from Father's Day is not looking very good at the moment and it might die...
I tired a new dessert recipe as well, Italian Love Cake!  It was really tasty, but I think Jimmy and I liked it better than my parents.  There was a chocolate whipped topping as well, but I didn't get a picture of that.
Happy Birthday Mom/Nana!  Thank you again for all the wonderful things you do for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment