Sunday, December 6, 2015

Parker's Birthday Party - May the "Four"ce Be With You

We had Parker's Star Wars themed birthday party yesterday.  We kept it smaller this year, just inviting his friends from ECFE and family.  I used Pixelmator (cheap version of PhotoShop for Mac) to make his invitation and printed them as 5x7 pictures.
We did a couple of short activities.  The first was "Build a Droid."  I used my silhouette to cut out R2-D2 bodies, parts, and other shapes.  The kids got to glue on the shapes in any way they wanted.  I think we got a great variety of droids!
We also did dark side bowling.  I printed off pictures of Darth Vader and Stormtroopers and attached them to a kids bowling set.  They had a great time trying to knock down all the pins!
The kids had fun just playing until it was time for lunch.
I went totally on-theme with the food as well!  It worked out great since these are pretty easy things to prep and cook for a crowd.
I used Betty Crocker's Seven Layer Dip recipe, which is beans and taco seasoning, cream cheese and chiles, salsa, cheese and veggies.  The Yoda Soda was a hit too!  I have done this punch in a few different variations.  They all have a base of ginger ale and pineapple juice, then you scoop in sherbet to fit your needs.  I have used pink for a baby shower and used green this time for the signature Yoda color!
I also made some additional treats.  I have a friend with cut and stamp cookie cutters that I borrowed to make "Light and Dark Side Cookies."  I used a basic sugar cookie recipe, them made a thin glaze with milk, powdered sugar, and food coloring.  I lightly painted it on with a basting brush and they turned out great!  I also made some chocolate covered pretzels to look like trees from Endor (home of the Ewoks.)
All the food was a hit, even with the kids!
I am probably most proud of his Forest of Endor cake.  I make one larger and one smaller square cake, then layered them on an angle.  A big batch of buttercream frosting was dyed it in two colors of green for a variegated look.  I used the same chocolate covered pretzels to make trees and positioned some to look like fallen logs.  I also used some small pretzels to make little ferns.  I just needed to add Parker's Star Wars figures to complete the cake!
He loved when everyone started singing to him!  He still doesn't quite understand blowing out the candles, but dad was there to help.
Our friends and family were so generous with their gifts.  He got a few sets of PJs, several great books and a bunch of new toys that he is already loving!
I also make favor bags that I forgot to take pictures of.  They each got a couple of cookies, a bouncy ball, temporary tattoos, fruit snacks, and personalized light sabers.  You can see the light sabers in the picture below and can find the tutorial here.
Parker's cousins, Jayden and Emma, got in the spirit with their Star Wars shirts as well!
We were all ready for nap once the party was over.  Parker fells asleep almost instantly and I was not too far behind.
We finished the day with a quick trip out to Grandpa and Nana's house and the boys took a dip in the hot tub.  It was a great finish to a fun-filled day.  Happy, happy birthday to my big 4-year old!

2 comments: