Sunday, January 3, 2016

Looking Back and Looking Forward

It's that time of year when we look back on the previous year and think about our hopes for the one to come.  Last year I was coming off a time of uncertainty that developed in to something more amazing than I could have imagined.  30 was also staring me in the face, but it really wasn't a big deal when it finally came around.  Two years ago we were still fresh off of Parker's autism diagnosis and had so much hope and expectation.  A couple months after that I vented about my desire for a bigger family, but not feeling like the time was right.  That was so hard to write, but also very therapeutic.

And here I sit, January 3, 2016, looking forward to what just may be the most nerve wracking year I've had.  I am so excited for the little life that is growing, but also terrified to go back to the baby stuff again.  I was wracking my brain last week trying to remember what it was like to have a newborn.  How often do they eat?  How many diapers do they need?  I am hoping it will be like riding a bike, but we will see in less than 4 months!

Overall, 2015 was a pretty amazing year!  Parker started school and also began making amazing strides with speech and social skills.  He is doing so well that we will be taking a break from both speech and occupational therapy until the end of summer.  This is pretty common when a child has been going as long as he has.  It will be a great opportunity for all of us to reset before baby girl arrives.  We took a family trip to Kansas City in April, my brother got married in July, and Jimmy and I got away to Winnipeg for our birthday!  We also learned about baby girl's impending arrival in late August!

We had a pretty great end of the year too!  Parker got to have back-to-back sleepovers with my parents and Jimmy's mom.
 He got a little sad when we dropped him off with Jimmy's mom.  He hasn't done that in a very long time, so we weren't' sure what was bugging him.  We was tearily sulking around with his hands in his pockets, it was utterly adorable!  He must have made a quick recovery after we left because we never got a call!
 We headed to our friends, Nick and Rachel's, house for a New Year's party.  A bunch of folks ended up sick, so it was just us and them!  We ate some delicious appetizers, then decided to go see the new Star Wars movie!  We played a card game and drank sparkling cider as we rang in the new year.  It was a super fun and low-key way to celebrate.
Wishing you all an amazing 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment