Thursday, October 31, 2013

Traveling Safe

I try not to get too preachy about parenting choices and practices on here, but I saw something on the way home last night that deeply saddened me. A minivan changed lanes (safely) in front of me. Then I saw the silhouette of two small heads through the back window. But, they weren't sitting still, they were bouncing back and forth across the whole vehicle. At one point, it appeared as if they started fighting, hitting and tackling each other. At a minimum, they should have been buckled in.  The girl, evident by the pigtails, was probably small enough that she also should have been in a booster or 5-point harness.  During the 5 miles or so I was behind this vehicle I didn't see any movement from the driver. He/she could have been verbally reprimanding them, but certainly wasn't gesturing at all and didn't seem to turn around.  Many times, on this same stretch if highway, I have been forced to stop quickly or swerve. I worried what would happen if the driver came into that situation.  Where would those kids end up if they were in an accident?

I know that it can be difficult to keep up with all the changing requirements and recommendations regarding child safety seats. All I ask is that you educate yourself and make the best decision for the well-being of your child.  I have added a few links where you can learn more information below.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/ - General Safety guidlines

http://www.safekids.org - Find your state's laws on child safety

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/child-passenger-safety/Pages/default.aspx - MN Department of Public Safety

I am choosing to keep Parker rear-facing for as long as his seat allows, which is 40lbs. That means he could be in there for a couple more years. Please also don't be afraid to educate and inform others in a helpful, non-judgemental manner. Sometimes people just haven't heard the latest recommendations, but are likely to listen if it means keeping their kiddos safe.  Rant is over, thanks for listening!  Drive safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment