Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Support, Clarity and Advocacy

It's been just over a month since our Autism journey started.  I had the opportunity and time last week to do some in depth research into treatment options in our area.  I was lost and overwhelmed prior to that.  I wasn't able to properly focus on ANY aspect of my life.  I visited several day treatment facilities and met with a couple others that have walked these roads before.  

On Monday I met with a woman from my church community who has 2 kids on the spectrum.  Her stories and advice were immensely comforting.  It is one thing to read about similar stories online (which I love!), but talking face to face with another mom is a whole new level.  They can see your emotions.  They can give you a hug when all you want to do is cry.  I have also discovered that I have connections with most of 6 different special education directors in the metro area!  Ah, oh how the Lord provides when you need it.

I feel that I can now make an educated decision about how to proceed.  I will feel comfortable in the decisions made.  There is still a lot of uncertainty, but I am able to live and work and "mom" without being consumed with worry and doubt.  We also started speech therapy last week and I am already seeing progress.  I am so excited to see where it goes from here.  

We will also be participating in:
The Minnesota walk is on Saturday, October 12th.  I would love if you could join us, donate to Autism research or educate yourself more about ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders.)  Our team is The Parker Patrol.  You can join our team or donate by clicking below.


Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement over that last several weeks.  Knowing you are here to love and support us makes each day so much easier.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're getting local support as well as support here :)
    Have a good time at the walk! If I was up there, I would totally join y'all's team!

    ReplyDelete