Friday, December 9, 2022

Squishy Lawn on a 9 Degree Morning

Tuesday was an exciting day for our street.  As I was walking the kids out to the bus stop a neighbor called out to me.  I couldn't hear him, so I started walking closer and stepped in some squishy mud which seemed off on a chilly December morning.  He asked me if there was a water main break since water was running down the street.  

I looked up the non-emergency number as I continued walking up the block.  It was only 7:30, so no one was answering.  I was about to call 911 when a white truck started approaching.  I thought to myself, "it would be nice if this was a city vehicle."  Sure enough, it was!  He had already driven past by the time I saw it, so I started running after him, waving my hands hoping he would see me.  Break lights soon followed and he backed up asking what was going on.  I explained the situation, gave him our house number and watch him drive over to check it out as I waited for Esme's bus to arrive.  By the time I was walking back, he was already gone.  About 15 minutes later another truck arrived to inspect things.

I was crossing my fingers it was the city's issue and not ours.
I knew it was getting serious when the Utility Response Vehicle showed up.
I got a knock on the door and the bell rang about 9:30 with a water shut off notice which was good news for us!
They got all the repairs done over the next few hours.
I had to meet Parker's van at the end of the block and got to watch the large excavator drive away.  I wish Parker was home to watch it all.
There ended up being another leaky spot up by the bus stop, so they came back yesterday to fix that one.  The dirt from Tuesday's fix acted like a dam for the second leak, so it's an icy mess in front of our house.  The cones will probably be up for a while which should be interesting for snow moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment