Thursday, July 30, 2015


My brother got married on Saturday!  We have been planning and prepping for 9 months and I think it went great!  They decided to get married at my parents house so we did much of the work ourselves.  The months and weeks leading up to the big day were full of fun stuff for my to do.  I offered to design the invitations so my sister-in-law, Lindsay, sent me one that she liked.  A couple hours later I sent her a draft that didn't change much to the final draft.
I also made a few mason jar RSVP cards for those we knew wouldn't be able to respond online.
 My dad had sliced up some big logs several months before the wedding.  I intended to do something with them for the dessert table, but wasn't sure what at that time.  I ended up getting some remnant shipping tubes from work and the light bulb went on!  I wrapped them in burlap (free from a friend) and glued the wood slabs on top!
 They were varying heights and made for a great setting for the treats.  Best part is, they were practically free!
 We were lucky enough to have another power outage the weekend before the wedding.  We woke up at 6am Saturday, packed up the food, and headed to grandpa and nana's!  We were planning to be there anyway to get the shed ready, so it worked out.  
 Plus, it made for a fun family weekend and the power was back on Sunday morning, only 33 hours this time!
It was a very hot day, even hotter putting up tarps 12' up, but we got it done.  We also hung paper lanterns with lights from the canoes.
 It seemed like there was a task for every night the week leading up to the wedding.  We got a great deal on bridesmaid dressed on Amazon.  I just had to take in the strap and it was a great fit!  I have been hoping to do some more sewing, but this will have to do for now.
We almost forgot about the favors so I had a late Thursday run to Walmart for s'mores fixings!  I had some cellophane bags laying around and tied them up with a little note and twine.
 I took Friday off to help with finishing touches and to bake 168 cupcakes!  The baking didn't take too long, but the decorating was a bit more laborious.
I made edible decorations from candy melts earlier in the week.  There were 5 varieties, plus a few mini cheesecakes for my brother!  I used box cake mix just to save time.  All the frosting was from scratch, except the coconut pecan.

German Chocolate with Coconut Pecan Frosting 
 Rum and Coke (Rum Butter cream)
 Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting
 Peach with Peach Cream Cheese Frosting
 Lindsay's favorite, Raspberry White Chocolate
 I finished with just enough time left to clean up for rehearsal.  We had a quick walk through of the ceremony, then enjoyed a walking taco/nacho dinner!
 My Grandma's birthday was the night before so we made her favorite, angel food cake!
 My dad gave a great speech that left many of us teary.  We are all excited to have Lindsay and her son, Cody, join our family! My dad is not a hugger, but she managed to sneak one by him!

Up Next: The big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment