Thursday, August 8, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Grandma Jensen


Clara Theresa (Moser) Jensen, 84, passed away on Saturday August 3rd, 2013 surrounded by her loving family at the Stanton Health Center. 

Clara, the daughter of John and Clara (Henkenius) Moser was born on December 16, 1928, in Elgin, Nebraska. She attended St. Boniface School in Elgin, graduating in 1946.

On September 4, 1950 she married Reuben Jensen, Jr., at St. Boniface Catholic Church in Elgin, Nebraska. Clara raised 12 children while farming and milking cows with Reuben in Stanton County. She lived south of Pilger most of her life until moving to the Stanton Nursing home in 2007. Clara was a member of St. Peters Altar Society, Ladies Auxiliary VFW Post 3602, and the Valley Culture Club. 

Her spirit lives on through her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Clara provided love and care for her husband Reuben and all their children instilling her faith and gentleness.
Clara loved to bake chocolate chip cookies for her grandchildren. There wasn't a time when we came to visit and the children would scurry down to the freezer to get those cookies.

Below is my favorite picture of Grandma Jensen.  That's not her real hair, just a wig she put on.  
When my brother would be mean to me she would chase him around the house with a fly swatter.  It was hilarious!  She was the kindest woman I have ever known.  She had more than enough room in her heart for 12 kids, 52 grandchildren and 44 great-grandchildren.  

I stayed with my grandparents for a few weeks ever summer.  One of my favorite memories was when I was probably 12 or so.  We were making the drive to church on Sunday morning.  All of a sudden she yelled out, "Oh no!  I forgot my teeth!"  She said we would have to leave right after church and not talk to anyone.  She milked cows into her 70's and seemed to love it.  She put everyone before herself and was always willing to lend a hand.  

She struggles with Alzheimer's over the last decade or so.  Anyone who has experienced this disease knows how tough it can be on family and friends.  I loved to visit her, but it was always a tough and emotional time.  She was strong woman of faith and I have no doubt that she is rejoicing with God in Heaven.  Her faith was central in almost everything she did. 

Below are the last pictures I have of her.  They were taken last spring, the last 2 at my grandpa's funeral.
Parker (7 weeks), my mom, Grandma Jensen
Parker (4 months) and Grandma Jensen
4 generations
I love you Grandma, see you up there!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss Lesa. I always enjoyed hearing about your grandparents and their HUGE family! So awesome. What a legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! My huge family is a bit crazy, but I love them!

      Delete