Tuesday, March 7, 2023

$28 Dryer Repair

Our dryer stopped getting hot late last week.  I did some googling and other trouble shooting tests to determine what the cause could be.  Our model has a known issue with the heating element going out, so it was a good bet that it needed replacing.  I ordered a parts kit from Amazon that included fuses so I had it on hand before tearing it apart.  It was delivered at 4pm and I was starting to open it by 5:47.
I found this great step by step video on YouTube which gave me the confidence to do it myself.  With all the crap online, I am appreciative for stuff like this.
The heating element is under the drum so you have to take pretty much the whole thing apart.  I used a mulitmeter to check the different connections.  The fuses showed a reading, but the element did not, which affirmed my assumption that it was the culprit.
I got the new one in and tested it again.  I got a reading this time and was crossing my fingers that we got it fixed. The trickiest part of reassembly was getting the belt back in place.  You have to set the drum in and put it in place blind.  I took a picture to give myself a viewpoint.
Less than 90 minutes later we were back in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment