Friday, July 29, 2011

My First Nursery Project: Felt Wall Art

I wanted something more tactile for wall art than a simple framed print, so I thought of making some felt art on canvas.  This is an inexpensive art project that you can do with simple animal pictures, flowers or even your own designs.  I don't have pictures of every step since I did this one pre-blog, but you will get the idea!
 Materials Needed:
     -Scaled printout of art
     -8x10 Stretched canvas (or size of choice)       
     -Craft paint
     -Paint brushes
     -Felt in matching colors
     -Scissors (a small craft one works well for more
      detailed art)
     -Marker suitable for felt
     -Glue
     -Optional: Exact-o-knife and shape stencils


Step 1: Paint the canvas in whatever design you choose.  I chose to paint a darker border around the full edge and sides of the canvas.  I then lightened the paint and stenciled circles, squares and stars on 3 separate canvases. (Finished products pictured at bottom.)  Allow to fully dry.

Step 2: Cut out printed picture of choice.  Make sure to cut out each colored section separately.  This will make tracing and cutting easy.  Trace each cutout on to the felt and cut out the felt pieces. Note: I cut out and inserted the lighter parts of the ears after cutting out the main body in brown.

Step 3: Dry fit the pieces together and do any trimming that may be necessary prior to gluing on canvas.  Once the parts are fit and trimmed lay them on the canvas to determine placement.  Leaving it as still as possible you can start gluing down the arms and legs.  This will anchor the body for gluing the rest.  Glue the remaining parts and you are almost done.

Step 4: Add eyes, nose and mouth ( I free-hand cut these.)  Draw any lines that may be needed.  I used a brown marker to distinguish the head from the back and to outline the ears.

Now you have a cute wall hanging to adorn your baby's nursery (or other room if you desire.)  I made 4 different canvases.  Total cost of materials (not including common tools I had already) was $15.  WHAT A DEAL!  Everything can be found at Michael's or Joann.  I used 50% off coupons on canvas 2-packs which made them about $2 per canvas.

My homemade monkey wall art!

4 comments: